Thursday, May 3, 2012

Another Chapter Begins

So once again I have decided to throw real life by the wayside and depart once again for Europe. When I returned to Vancouver in January, I had no idea what was in store for me. Four months later, I can safely say I loved being back home. Now that is a rare thing for me to say. For those of you who've hung out with me in the last few years, I know that you've put up with a large amount of grumbling and moaning about this fine city. And to a degree, yes it's all true. But I learned to look past it, realize the city life may not be for me and enjoy the surroundings to their maximum. I spent nearly every weekend getting up to an adventure. I had no shortage of good people to join me as I explored Victoria, Cortes Island, the local Vancouver mountains, GVRD beaches, bike paths and even new eateries and cafes. It was a heck of a time being back. And then I decided to give it all up again for the open road.


Now Vancouver is far from perfect. Here are my complaints. Vancouver is an independent city. We like to think of ourselves way out left on the west coast. The only problem is we might be a little too independent and refuse to acknowledge those around us withing out daily lives. All too often to find myself walking around the city, wandering the streets and smiling at passers by. More than ever have I noticed how unfriendly peoples outward faces are. Locked in a frown, or at best a look of "why the hell are you smiling at me?" the citizens of this city need to learn to lighten up and enjoy a little bit of social interaction. No man is an island. Open up a little, smile and spread the love. If everyone in this city smiled, no matter how grey the weather this city would shine like no other.


And of course my other gripe is the price. I know it's beautiful, but it's expensive. Prohibitively so. Maybe another reason I am skipping town.


So I'm sitting here relaxing at Pearson Airport in Toronto. The clouds have started moving in and there's a risk of thunder showers. But that bothers me none. I am on a journey. The final destination is unknown, but it's a personal trip to discover whether or not Vancouver is my home. There is so much more of the world to see and I'm not getting any younger.



A note to old friends, new friends, family and co-workers. I'll miss you guys. You've made Vancouver a magical place for me again. There is now a hope that the west coast will be my home one day. I don't feel like I'm running away. I'm only going on vacation... to a bit of a sunnier destination. Hopefully that also means that I will be breathing new life into this blog while I am away. More photos, more videos and more vicarious adventures.


Stay Tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment